Managing Your LoanAlready have a federal student loan? Need help managing it? We have information and tools that can help.
- Visit GetMoneySmarts.org for tools to manage your money successfully. Your free account allows you to create and store budget information to:
- Unsure of what you owe? Student loans can originate and be purchased by different lenders, causing confusion when repaying. Locate your Loan(s) through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- There are many Repayment Options that can help you keep your loans in good standing. If you are having difficulty making your payments, we may be able to help! Depending on your situation, you may be able to lower or postpone monthly payments. Some circumstances even allow for potentially forgiving or discharging portions of your student loan debt.
- If you have already defaulted, we may be able to help there too! There are ways to resolve your default and bring your account back to good standing.
10 Steps to Keep YOU In Control of Your Student Loan Repayment
- Stay in contact with your lender/servicer and guarantor.
- Know when your payments begin.
- Know where to send your payments.
- Always be on time with your payments.
- Explore your payment schedule options.
- Utilize deferments to postpone payments.
- Know when and how to ask for forbearance.
- Keep capitalized interest to a minimum.
- Understand when and how to have your loans discharged or forgiven.
- Avoid default!